Essex Regional Health Commission
January 30, 2020
Novel Coronavirus, Wuhan, China (2019-nCoV)
Essex Regional has prepared the attached FACT SHEET on the novel coronavirus and continues to work with the state and local health departments to monitor the situation and will provide updates as needed.
There are currently a total of 5 cases in the United States, there are no cases in N. J. While the CDC considers this to be a serious public health concern, the immediate health risk in N.J. as well as the rest the U.S. is considered low at this time.
The CDC recommends the following procedures to prevent illness:
- Cover coughs and sneezes with a tissue or sleeve, not your hands.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth with unwashed hands.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water. Use alcohol-based hand sanitizer if soap and water are not available.
- Stay home if you are sick and avoid sick people.
- Review and follow CDC travel advisories when planning travel.
For more information:
- Call your local health department, Essex Regional Health Commission (973-251-2059) or the New Jersey Department of Health 24-Hour Public Hotline: 1-800-222-1222
- Visit the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website at
- Visit the New Jersey Department of Health website at https://www.state.nj.us/health/cd/topics/ncov.shtml